Nakba 1948 : 75 Years of Resilience


Reflecting on Al-Nakba: 75 Years of Resilience and the Ongoing Palestinian Struggle

Introduction: This year marks the 75th anniversary of Al-Nakba, a somber chapter in Palestinian history marked by dispossession and the loss of homeland. On May 15, Palestinians globally commemorate Nakba Day, reflecting on the tragic events of 1948 when the establishment of the State of Israel triggered widespread displacement.

@emb.almaktab @EMB المكتب @EMB المكتب @AJ+ عربي @ajplus @الجزيرة مباشر @Amnesty 🕯 #السلام_لفلسطين #palestine #foryou #طوفان_الأقصى #FreePalestine #فلسطين_قضية_الشرفاء #فلسطين_حره ##qatar🇶🇦 #justice #فلسطين #dohaqatar🇶🇦 #savegaza #palestine🇵🇸 #الكويت🇰🇼 ♬ original sound – EMB المكتب

The Nakba Unveiled: In 1948, Zionist forces, having gained British support for a Jewish state, declared the creation of Israel, initiating the first Arab-Israeli war. The aftermath witnessed the expulsion of over 750,000 Palestinians and the capture of 78 percent of historic Palestine. The remaining 22 percent was divided into the occupied West Bank and the besieged Gaza Strip, setting the stage for the ongoing conflict.

Legacy of Destruction: Between 1947 and 1949, Zionist military forces attacked Palestinian cities, demolishing around 530 villages and causing the loss of approximately 15,000 lives through mass atrocities and infamous massacres. The notorious Deir Yassin massacre of April 9, 1948, stands as a haunting reminder of the brutality faced by Palestinian communities.

Mapping the Dispossession: Detailed records of these demolished villages have been meticulously documented by Palestinian researcher Salman Abu Sitta in “The Atlas of Palestine,” digitized by Al Jazeera. The interactive visualisation vividly captures the scale of destruction and displacement.

The Refugees’ Plight: Today, six million registered Palestinian refugees reside in 58 camps across Palestine and neighboring countries. UNRWA provides vital assistance, but the right of return, protected by international law, remains unfulfilled. The plight of Palestinian refugees stands as the world’s longest unresolved refugee crisis.

Life Under Occupation: Israel’s military control profoundly impacts Palestinian lives, violating human rights and constituting crimes against humanity, according to Human Rights Watch. From land seizures to forcible displacement, the Palestinian people face numerous challenges, underscoring the urgent need for international attention and action.

Ongoing Struggle: The resilience of the Palestinian people shines through despite decades of hardship. As we reflect on Al-Nakba, it is crucial to stand in solidarity, raising awareness about the ongoing struggle and advocating for a just resolution to ensure a better future for Palestinians.